The other day, I casually remarked to Andrew that I would be more motivated to work harder if he would grade me each night. In my pajamas after noon...D. Wandering around the grocery store for hours because I don' t know what to cook for dinner....B- (actually making it to the grocery store is an accomplishment). Taking Luke to the Zoo AND remembering sunscreen...A++. I could really be on to something here.
Although I was mostly joking at the time, when I remember how crazy I was about getting A's in college...it actually would probably be highly motivating. I wish I didn't buy into the whole grade aspect of education. I didn't realize the magnitude of how unimportant it was until I graduated and had to comprehend what the experience actually meant in my life. Which ended up being much more encompassing than grades. I digress...
Anyway, when we were talking about it, Andrew brought up this clip from The Simpson's (weird because rarely have I ever seen him watch The Simpson's).
I'm Lisa. How embarrassing.
4 comments:
yeah! glad to know our zoo day earned you an A++! We'll have to do it again when your average is getting low and midterms/ finals are pending. Wouldn't want to have a poor showing on a report card. :)
Kip just told me to read your post because it reminds him of me... Atleast you are not alone! :)
Very true! I think we are conditioned to expect evaluation. We want someone to tell us that we are doing the right thing or that we are doing a good job. Grading is the way our society does it and now that we are out of school no one does it for you. But I would give you an A!
I really think that being a mom is hard because you're not getting graded when we've been used to that milestone at the end of a semester or whatnot. I worry that there will be a comprehensive exam at the end of all of this ... will I really remember everything?! :)
Post a Comment