Friday, August 7, 2009

Baby Steps

Today, I finally broke down and gave Luke his first haircut.

Before

(sorry for all the eating pictures....it's really the only time I can get him to sit still)

After



Do you notice a difference? Neither do I. But it was definitely trimmed...a little. I started off the day by preparing to say goodbye to the cute curls (honestly, I've been thinking about doing it for months, so I thought I would be ready). I took pictures of every angle so I could remember what they look like in case they never come back (highly doubt they won't come back, but you never know). I told myself that Luke is almost a year old and its time to let him become a little boy and have a decent haircut in place of a baby mullet. I kept thinking that to myself as I got out the scissors and starting combing through his thin locks with my fingers. But as I started to trim, I sort of panicked. What if I was forcing him to grow up too soon!? First, its a premature haircut and the next thing you know he will be wanting to drive when he's 6! I don't want to rush his babyhood!

Then I remembered, I don't want to be crazy. That is often the mantra I repeat to myself when I realize that my current train of thought will only result in manic sentimentality or depression or some other crazy thing. It works like a charm. So I cut. I'll admit, I was generous with the champagne-colored locks and let them live for the most part. I guess its baby steps for Mom.

7 comments:

heather said...

Oh my gosh! I love this post - it PERFECTLY describes my current dilemma. L has been proudly sporting not only a baby mullet but also a rat tail on his neck for quite some time now ... and I just can't come to terms with cutting it! How did you keep Luke still long enough? Can you come over and help me so I can finally cut L's hair?

The Clubb House said...

He is adorable with and without the curls. At least without you don't have to field people saying, "What a cute girl!" "What's her name?", even when he's obviously a boy!!!

Steve, Jen, Veronica, and Logan said...

How sad... the curls were very cute... however I am fairly sure that he will not resent you for it when he is older!

Sheryl said...

proud of you lauren. your baby is learning dress and grooming standards early in his life. a mission wont even be an adjustment for him.

Debbie said...

Congratulations! It's a big step, even without the curls. I have to agree with the girl comment. I just remember this 3 year old at the playground the other day with beautiful long, brown, curly hair (past the shoulders). I kept thinking that it was a very active and tom-boyish girl, but then the parents called HIM and I realized my mistake. Oops, not a girl! (In my defense, he was wearing very gender neutral clothing.)

Anonymous said...

proud of you lauren. your baby is learning dress and grooming standards early in his life.
___________________
Vince
Best place for your complete Internet marketing

Emma said...

I'm impressed with your skills. He is adorable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...