Lately I've been responding to Luke's requests after I tuck him in bed and he tip toes quietly down the stairs after me and sweetly says, "Mom...lay down next to me".
I'm a complete sucker! I can't say no to that sweet little voice that works so hard to string that little sentence together (even though Andrew tells me I setting a bad precedent).
So I go up and lay (lie?) down next to him. This is quickly becoming my favorite time of the day. He is unusually focused and I can talk to him about things that he normally doesn't have the attention span for. A few nights ago we talked about how he will marry a girl someday and have little kids of his own. He thought this was really funny. Then he teased me by saying I am a boy and Daddy is a girl. He loves that joke.
Another night we talked about Jesus. Another night the topic was angels.
Tonight it went something like this:
Me: I'm not feeling very good tonight Luke
Luke: Mommy sick?
Me: Yes
Luke: You need to cut your nails?
Whenever Luke asks why I need to cut his nails, I tell him that he will get sick if he doesn't ... I use this reasoning for a lot of things including why he shouldn't pick his nose. Now he probably thinks I'm a nose picker too! Why else would I be sick?
He turned on his side and fell asleep pretty quick (it sort of amazes me how he can do that with me lying right next him). I stared at the back of his curly blonde head and had a realization sweep over me that he will never be a little boy again. This is it. I don't get to relive these days at some future point in eternity. He will only be my little 3 year old once, with all his cute, innocent misunderstandings and carefree spiritedness. At this age, he wants me right next to him all the time...watching him build a house with blocks or a tower with legos. He wants me right next to him when he goes outside or when he is drawing a picture. He wants me right next to him when he is doing nothing at all. In those moments he quickly makes up something to do when he can tell I'm getting distracted. Luke's "made up on the fly" games are not always fun per say, but it's Luke and he could make staring at a blank wall seem fun with his easy laugh and addictive smile.
8 comments:
a profound post, Lauren. I have those realization moments but rarely act on them like you do with the pillow talk. I need to be more like you.
Very sweet...I miss moments like that.
Maybe its being pregnant, but I am sitting here crying as I read this. He is stinkin cute!
Oh, I loved this post. This made my heart ache. I think about this a lot, too. I don't tell people this very often (because who would believe me?), but I secretly cherish nursing Hollie several times during the night (even though it seems every other baby her age is sleeping through the night by now), because I just keep looking at her little face and hair and hands and knowing that someday I will want this moment back so terribly, but I only get it once. And even though we will have other babies, each one will be different and it'll just make me want to hold onto even more moments. But I think it is a blessing to feel this way now! You're the best, Lauren! And your boys are A-DOR-ABLE!
makes me miss those little guys so much!! MIss you too little sis!
This makes me cry! I often get sad about the same thing. You are an awesome mom. Love reading your blog.
Thank you...
If only you knew what an inspiration you are to me. I miss you.
Enjoy those moments. They don't last.
Post a Comment