Today we are leaving. Bye C-bus.
When I look around our townhouse that we have lived in the past 4 years, I see the annoying 1/2 inch gap between the baseboards and the floor where food gets stuck; my kids see the perfect hiding place for their little treasures.
I see the filthy carpet going down the stairs; my kids see hours of fun racing down on their bellies.
I see the basement and wonder how much mold is growing beneath the surface; my kids see a secret hideout where they take Dad to play games after a long days work.
Even though I see all the little things that have come to annoy me about our house, it isn't just the kids that will miss it. We love this place, warts and all.
This is the place my kids want to return to no matter how cool our current location is. When we were on vacation a few weeks ago, Luke asked (about every 48 hours) when we were going home. It is the only place he has ever known as "home". It is the place he feels most comfortable. I think it is the place I feel the most comfortable too. It is the longest home I've lived in since I was 16 years old.
And don't even get me started about Columbus. I knew from day one that I was going to like this city. Maybe because Andrew can talk about any city in such a way that you will instantly fall in love with it. But beyond that, I am going to miss the people here. I'm going to miss walking outside and talking to my neighbors. I don't think I could have survived that past 4 years without good neighbors. When I think of leaving them, it really starts to hurt.
I should also mention that this marks the end of intern year of residency. Huge sigh of relief. Apparently that was the worst of it. Lets hope so.
I'm sure after a few days in Ann Arbor Luke will start asking. And my heart will break a little every time he does. "Go home now?", "I wanna go home mommy." But soon he will learn what we all have to learn at some point in life. Homes change. Family doesn't. Good friends remain. And moving on is okay.
3 comments:
I don't know if your FIL told you, but Gwen BAWLED when Luke left. I think she understood that he was moving. When I asked her which friend she wanted to come over later, she got all sad again and said, "Luke. He's my favorite."
We will really miss you guys.
Sad to see you leave. I have actually been dreading the day we'll have to leave after living here for about only 1 year! Best wishes.
Having left a piece of my heart in cities like Memphis & San Jose...I have learned that there is another wonderful city with fabulous people waiting to enrich my life...you have done that for me, MoCann. May this next chapter of your journey bless your lives...bittersweet times. Sending hugs...
Post a Comment