I don't know if there is such a thing as food therapy for picky kids, but I'm thinking of starting my own program for Luke. One of his former preschool teachers told me that it might be helpful to have him experience foods using all his senses. For example, smelling different foods or holding different foods up to his lips without having to eat it, etc.
So today I told Luke that if he held a pear for 5 minutes, he could have a Halloween treat. He really didn't like the idea and had to think about it for a long time. I had to reassure him a few times that he was not required to eat it.
Here he is looking at the timer as the count-down began.
He was all business...
...and a little annoyed as the clock ran down.
There was no magical bite of pear :( but he did get a piece of Halloween candy.
6 comments:
Keep trying. At least he held it and found out it wouldn't bite him. I think it took me a while to like pears when I was a kid because they were grainy to the taste. Utah peaches were my favorite-nice and sweet. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!
I guess every family has a picky eater! I think Luke and Ryland could have a party with all the sugary things that life has to offer and be as happy as clams...oh, did I say clams...oh, I'm sure that would not be on the list!
wow. He DOES mean business, doesn't he? lol, at least he understands the concept of a contract! :)
I love it! Food Therapy...I can't wait to read your review...
:)
Let me know how it turns out (I love his faces btw). I will have to try it with Deklan!
Good idea! I haven't had quite the struggle with kids and food, but they sure can be stubborn. Maybe next time he could put it in his mouth and spit it out after so many seconds. I know a family that would say they have to try everything on their plate (chew, put in mouth), but they didn't have to swallow it. I have my fair share of childhood foods that made me gag. Some still do. Greeeen beeeans... :*
Post a Comment