Over a year ago, Andrew had the idea for a research project that would be a perfect fit for the international retinablastoma referral center in Siena, Italy. So he emailed them. Then he worked with his department at the University of Michigan to get funding and put the plans in motion. The rest of the family (myself and the kids) decided to join too, unfunded :(. I won't go into all the details but it wasn't as easy as I've made it sound. However, it was initially just a thought and with A LOT of time, effort, preparation, and certainly a stroke of providence, we are finally here for one month!
Today I woke up with the boys at the crack of dawn. I was initially reminded of all the conveniences that I am accustomed to in America that are not standard in other parts of the world. I was happy to find a toaster but it worked differently and took a few tries to get the toast just right. And I had to use it on the floor next to the front door because there is no outlet in the kitchen. Odd, but not a big deal. Luckily we brought a huge Costco-sized jar of peanut butter for Luke. But I can already tell at the rate he is requesting it, that we have not brought enough. Cam readily accepted toast with nutella instead. I can't believe we are in a country that produces some of the best food in the world, a place where people come JUST to find joy in eating, and Luke would rather starve. But that is a different blog post entirely.

We opened the windows, got dressed and the boys and I went outside to explore the olive tree grove and playground area that is in our backyard. Our apartment is attached to a bed and breakfast. We chose it for the grounds that give us an excellent view of the Tuscan countryside and for the rustic playground equipment. There is a little soccer field, swings, climbing ropes, a seesaw and a bocce court (there is also a pool but it is closed until summer). It is a large area, surrounded by gardens and the previously mentioned grove of olive trees. There is even a chicken coup!
Going outside, without coats, exploring with the boys was so much fun. Especially after the Alaska-like weather we have had in Michigan this winter.
The apartment itself is simple and rustic. I love the high ceilings and little architectural details. There are a few things I don't like about it. Sometimes I feel like I'm camping. But complaining at all sort of puts me in a category of people I don't want to be associated with. Like people who say Hawaii is too hot or New York City is too crowded. We are living in Tuscany! There is nothing to complain about. It is amazing.
After everyone was awake and ready to go, we drove around and oriented ourselves a little. Then we parked at the mall and ate some of Andrew's favorite food from his mission days, piadina. They are amazing. But even more than the food, I think Andrew loved talking with the store owner in Italian. Instant camaraderie. I know I've only been here a few days, but it seems like it is more common here to find people who know how to socialize and interact with strangers as if they are friends. I'm sure I will expand on that thought a little later.
![]() |
| piadina |

![]() |
| we have about a hundred pictures that look somewhat like this. it was too much fun to watch them. |


![]() |
| little freaky |
![]() |
| see the band of boys to the left |

We got some gelato. I think I may have built up gelato in Luke's mind a little too much. I thought it would be the one staple of Italian cuisine that he would like. But he didn't. I have to include that little detail because I'm sure one day he will realize how crazy that is. Perhaps the goal of this trip is for him to enjoy a cone of gelato like everyone else on the planet.
The rest of the day was spent getting groceries and preparing our first home-cooked meal. Kids were in bed well after 9. We must do better tomorrow.








4 comments:
AMAZING!! I can't even imagine what it took to get you all there. But looking at your pictures... I'm sure it is worth it. Enjoy some good food for me!
Ah, to visit Tuscany in person! What an amazing experience to live there for a month and become a "native" rather than a "tourist"! Silly, silly Luke... does he like the pasta? Tell him next time he can stay at my house and feed my girls pb and j and I'll go eat Italian food with his mama!
I'm so happy for you!! What a wonderful adventure for your family. Thank you for posting pictures so we can share it with you. I think I'm going to try to make those 'piadina'. They look good. And how great to be out of the cold weather!! By the time you get back it may be spring in Ann Arbor! Enjoy yourselves!! Love you guys! :)
Why didn't you tell us you were here!? We love Tuscany and were just there recently. We would have driven down to visit you!
Post a Comment