Poggibonsi was not very far from us. We saw signs for it all the time as soon as we were on the outskirts of Siena, so one day we decided to go check it out. It was getting late when we arrived and I don't know if we ever actually found the main part of Poggibonsi. But it didn't matter. Because I just love saying that name and I probably said it 34 times while we were there just for the fun of it.
We somehow ended up at an excavation site of some kind at the top of a hill. It was probably very old and very cool inside. But it looked closed and the kids were anxious to get out and play. So we turned around and went back to a park we passed about 5 minutes earlier. It looked like a little mini Disneyland to the boys. Complete with a zip line (totally unsupervised which I doubt would ever pass in sue-happy United States) and a merry-go-round. There was also a playground and a little aquaduct where we tried to race bark, but it didn't really work.
It was such a lovely evening. We didn't feel like visitors, but actual residents who were just hanging out with our kids at the park. The amazing thing about Italy is that it is so easy to just stumble upon these beautiful little places. No one publicizes them. And when you find them you feel like you dug up a treasure that no one else even knew existed.
No comments:
Post a Comment