Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Natsukashii

Today marks 5 years since I went to the MTC and became a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [can you tell that i really like celebrating anniversaries...this should be the last one for a while though]. Here's my cheer squad who dropped me off:

I like to remember this day because of the HUGE lessons that I learned from doing something that I never planned on doing in a million years.

Lesson No.1

Heavenly Father has waaaaay better things in store for you than you could possibly dream up for yourself. Not to say that the road He would take you down is easier by any means.

Before realizing that going on a mission was the right thing for me, I was VERY stubborn about how I wanted my life to turn out. I thought that 22.5 was definitely too old to change my plans and I had a perfectly handsome, wonderful guy who seemed to like me a lot. But after a few extremely humbling experiences, I realized that I was ready to hand the reigns over to someone else...maybe He could fix the mess I had made of things...and He did. I can't believe how He figured out the absolute perfect new game plan for my life.

Lesson No. 2

Heavenly Father can help you be excited about things that terrify you if you ask for help.

I remember briefly considering a mission when I turned 21, but the idea of it made me sick to my stomach. The long hours, talking to strangers everyday, being away from everything comfortable...No thanks. But when I felt strongly impressed that it was the right thing to do (years later), I found that I was actually excited to do it. I must have felt a little scared to go to a foreign country, learn a difficult language, try to teach something important to me while speaking that difficult language, etc., but I honestly don't remember those feelings at all. I must have swallowed a HUGE dose of courage and it didn't come from me.

Lesson No. 3

Things that are hard are also the things that mean the most to you.

I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't thought about my mission or felt the influence of my mission. It absolutely changed who I am. It means so much to me that I honestly can't do it justice on a blog post. All the hard times pale in comparison to all the amazing good times.


Right outside the window of my last apartment.

I was teaching Sister Nakano how to do yoga on our futons.

Metta - Anata wa hontou ni watashi no tenshi datta

Sister Komai was SO hard to keep up with


8 comments:

heather said...

I love your mission posts. It's my chance to live vicariously through you, and I love it!!

Shimmyshimmy said...

you (tried) teaching me yoga too!! hahaha! love the post. Can i share your anniversary?

Unknown said...

great post, Lauren! I had a dream 2 nights ago that I got a second mission call to Japan and was debating whether I should go or stay home with Gwen. Oh, and the only dress I remembered to pack to the MTC was this 80's deco hospital gown.

Paula said...

I'm not sure I knew you served in Japan...which mission was that? I served in Fukuoka, but it's been more than 10 years since my MTC entrance!

Steve, Jen, Veronica, and Logan said...

Happy Anniversary!!! To all of your recent anniversaries.

Cort and Amy said...

Very cool. It kind of made me feel lame that I didn't go on a mission-like I missed out on something extraordinary. I probably did, but luckily marriage and kids are pretty extraordinary. And I'm pretty sure that being pregnant 2 times equals 18 months of hard work on a mission:)

kaheels said...

Wow, it seems like your mission was pretty awesome. Thank goodness for the Spirit giving us a good ol' kick in the pants sometimes.

I can't believe how big our boys are getting, the big ones and the little ones. Luke is huge and so adorable. And we're more than halfway done with medical school. It's pretty crazy that Drew and Jon actually get to do doctoring stuff now. Maybe someday they will be doctors after all :)

marika said...

This was a very inspiring post-thanks! There are so many elements about you that make you the great person you are. I love how you loved your mission and how you really embraced that time. I am also so glad you have kept my brother pointed in the right direction for 9 years!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...