This med school life (or I guess it is 'residency life' now) is not generally miserable for me day in and day out. It is LONG and there are spurts of craziness, but overall it hasn't been that bad (at least not for me...I'm not speaking for Andrew). I look at so many other families where one or both spouses work long hours, others who long for any job opportunity at all, and/or are drastically underpaid, and others who know it will take years to advance in their career (if that is even possible), and I know that our immediate situation is nothing to complain about. We are very blessed. Period. Don't think that I don't realize that every day.
HARD THINGS MAKE ME HAPPY
Deep down I know this is 100% true. Is it true for you too? I hope I'm not the only weird one out there. I don't want an easy life. Easy is boring. I like having piles of laundry to fold, a cheesecake to bake for the bake sale, a talk to write for church, flubber to make for the YW camp auction (long story), a house to clean, friends to help out, a bunch of legal cases to update until 2am, that book about child discipline to finally finish, a 5:30am exercise class...the list goes on. Actually, I don't really like having these things 'to do', but doing them and accomplishing them feels great.
A very wise, well-respected Japanese man once pulled me aside (on my mission) and said (laboriously in English, bless his soul) that when he was faced with two choices in his life, he always chose the one that was harder and it always ended up being the right choice. Now, I don't think that includes dumb choices that end up making our life harder...that's something totally different. Nor do I think he meant that we shouldn't take advantage of great inventions or effective ways of doing things that make life a little easier. I think that he meant to not let fear of failure, or hard work, or temporal discomfort, or standing alone, keep us from doing something that we know is right. And generally, the harder choice is the right one. Have you ever noticed that? The best things in my life have also been the most demanding and labor-intensive. The eventual product of these things (not always the immediate product unfortunately) is HAPPINESS.
I'm so lucky to be happy.
| I love making waffles with Luke in the morning. We usually make them early in the week and keep them in the fridge to use the rest of the week. He loves to help. It is so fun! |
| Don't worry about his hands...we don't feed these waffles to anyone else |
![]() |
I promise I tried to prevent him from eating the fingerpaint but my efforts were fruitless. It's non-toxic anyway so no harm done...right? |
I'm clearly displaying my finest parenting moments here :)



6 comments:
oh, Lauren... I miss hanging out with you! Your post was so refreshing. I think that Japanese man is very wise and I will take his advice as if he pulled ME aside personally.
and I LOVE your series of "little boys making huge messes" photos. I think I need to be more open to such 'chaotic discovery' time because usually I'm kind of ocd about not wanting my kiddos to create huge work for me to clean up later.
and why am I posting at 11:11? bc I too apparently love hard work. Though maybe not as much as you. :)
So right. You are a powerhouse and I'm officially jealous of all of the people who get to hang out with you all the time. Just think about how lovely and surprising life will be when Andrew is done and you are suddenly not a single parent anymore. Won't that be a treat? Light at the end of the tunnel... ;-)
And those last two photos of Cam are to die for. I'm about to bribe Gigi to put paint brushes in her mouth, just so I can capture the image...
Awesome post! I CAN DO HARD THINGS! Loved the styrofoam...oh wow, that is a Mess with a capital M. I bet they had a blast, though!
I wish I was there just watching the boys have fun. I could tell you a few stories about Carol and Michele when they were Luke and Cam's age. Great pictures!!
LOVE YOU, Lauren Stacey!! You are my idol and I want to be just like you!
You are such a fun mommy! I don't even think of those things! Poor Deklan, he is so deprived! We'll have to come visit so he can have some fun!!
When Alek was about 18 months old, he got into Grandma's 5 lb. sugar jar and poured it all over the floor. He licked the sugar scoop and his hands and made a huge sticky mess everywhere...that really endeared him to grandma. Ha ha!!
Confession: I read this post a week ago. And have been thinking about it ever since. What a true discovery to make. The hardest things in life really do give you an increase of happiness. So many different spiritual analogies to discuss, motherly responsibilities to compare, and simply becoming better people through the hard times of life. Lauren you amaze me and I loved reading this. Thank you for this beautiful reminder. I feel the best about myself and who I am when I accomplish (or am surviving) hard things. Miss you friend!!
Post a Comment