DAY 1: Baltimore, MD
Okay, we were actually here for more than one day, but our last day in Baltimore was the day after Christmas. Nathan and Alisa took us to eat some of Balitmore's famous crab cakes. So good (but if you don't like fish...probably not for you).
We also took the kids to Chuck-E-Cheese (because this is the crazy vacation after all). I was secretly relieved that Luke didn't seem to enjoy it very much and had this funny look on his face the whole time.
DAY 2: Philadelphia, PAThe next day we went to Philadelphia to stay with Andrew's other brother Bill and his wife Kali. You would think that I would have taken some pictures of the family, but instead all we did was take pictures of West Philly because we couldn't stop singing the 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' song.
I think this might be where he was 'born and raised'
and the playground where he 'spent most of his days'.(these pictures are deceiving because Philadelphia is actually a lovely city if you ever get the chance to go).
DAY 3: Atlantic City, NJ
Random, I know. We didn't really know where to go next, but Andrew wanted a Las Vegas-style buffet with all the seafood you can eat. Atlantic city offered both the buffet and ridiculously cheap hotel rooms.
If the Nye's are reading...we want to know why we weren't invited to your party! (excuse me, THE Party).
Luke hit the slots...NOT
We strolled the Boardwalk. A little chilly, but Luke didn't seem to mind.

It was the first time I think I've ever worn boots on a beach.

DAY 4: New York City, NYHow could we not stop by New York? The energy in that city just pulls you in like some magnetic force. It was the COLDEST day I think there ever has been in the history of all days (a frigid 5 degrees with some crazy wind) but completely worth it.
Toys R US, had a giant Ferris wheel inside that Luke especially liked.

Andrew sweet talked the lady guarding the gate at the MOMA, so we could see my favorite Van Gogh before the place closed. Seeing this beauty in real life is reason alone to go to New York. Andrew made us cover our left ears in tribute to the great artist. I was so embarrassed! I'm sure all the artsy people were staring at us with disdain.

Rockefeller Center... amazing.

The Magnolia Bakery really does have delicious cupcakes.
It was about 5 minutes after this that Andrew swears he bumped into Walter Cronkite. That rumor was put to rest when we realized that Walter Cronkite is dead...so now he changed his story and is sure it was Tom Brokaw. Do you see the resemblance?And, of course, more eating anywhere a local recommended.
DAY 5: New Haven, CTAndrew's old mission companion and his family are at Yale and we have been itching to visit them for a while. Once again, I didn't seem to capture the most meaningful pictures with friends, and instead opted for pictures of the Yale campus.
The architecture was absolutely beautiful. It made me want to open up a book and start reading. I wish they still built educational institutions like this. It is so inspiring.
Here is one of the engravings outside the Law School Building. The schoolmaster chiding his sleeping pupils.
New Haven is well known for the best authentic Italian pizza. We concurred with the reputation.
Finally, a game of bowling where Luke has a fair shot at winning.
DAY 6: Scranton, PA and Novelty, OH
Day 6 was a long day of driving so we could get to Andrew's parents' house in time to ring in the New Year. We have been wanting to go to Scranton for years and, luckily, it was on the way. (Scranton is supposedly where The Office is located for those who don't know). It really is the Electric City and they are quite proud of it (signs were posted everywhere).
It is somewhat fitting that Scranton was where our trip took a turn for the worse. Andrew got sick (I'll let him tell you the details in person...they aren't really blog appropriate) and we got a flat tire. No, Scranton was not good to us at all... but I could feel The Office vibe the whole time I was there. So fun.
(and yes, we made it home about 30 minutes before midnight....phew!)


9 comments:
ok not gonna lie...i wish you called me so i could've seen you. that crab cake looked delicious! glad you had a great holiday!
Now that's a road trip. Don't ya just love the east coast? Your pictures make me want to move there.
Your trip looked like so much fun. A lot more fun than our trip across Nevada,(all we get to see is sage brush). What makes that drive worth it is spending time with family when we get there! About Walter Cronkit, maybe Walter has an impersonator out there just like Elvis! I can't imagine who would go to his show but who knows.
Lauren, I am so jealous! It looks like you guys had a blast! Love the tribute to TV, can't get the Fresh Prince song out of my head now!
Lauren, I am so jealous! It looks like you guys had a blast! Love the tribute to TV, can't get the Fresh Prince song out of my head now!
the food looks incredible! and i love all of the fresh prince pictures, and new haven is officially on my
"must see" list. andrew sure is working up the romance points!!! sweet-talking the old lady so his baby can see her favorite painting :) we want to come next time! no more road trips without us!!!
you guys really are my heros. Embrace the craziness. Definitely my 2010 motto. Thanks to you!! :)
I have the same birthday as Vincent Van Gogh. This is Dakota by the way
Oh, no! He's blaming the sickness on the pizza we left out all night, isn't he? Or maybe from our SOOOO not-guest-worthy shower? Probably true! So sorry!
Post a Comment